Lynn and Ron Carlson purchased the inn on April 1st of 1997. We opened the inn on May 1st of 1997 with the previous owner's furniture. We brought our furniture into the inn in June of 1997, opening the inn again on Friday, the 13th of June. In spite of these auspicious dates, we are celebrating over 17 years at the inn as owners/innkeepers.
When we purchased the inn it had four guest rooms on the second floor. In the last half of 2000, we created Zelda's Retreat, our 1000 sq ft third floor suite, and reclaimed the basement "Grotto Suite" for owner's quarters.
The carriage house, Griffin Cottage, to the rear of the property was built in 2004, opening up the Spring of 2005. Designed by Robert Griffin of RS Griffin Architects, PA, the carriage house is an "informal" version of the main inn. It combines many of the architectural details of the main house, which was designed by Richard Sharp Smith, Supervising Architect for the Biltmore House, together with numerous luxury features to make your stay an unforgettable memory!
Starting life in Minnesota, we moved to Bloomfield, CT in 1969. From there we ventured to England in early 1974, living in Henley-on-Thames in Oxfordshire. In the Summer of 1985 we repatriated to the Main Line of Philadelphia, living in Rosemont, PA.
Lynn is past President of NCBBI, the North Carolina Bed and Breakfast & Inns Association, having served three years as President and seven years on the Board. She is a past Vice Chair, Convention & Visitors Bureau, Asheville Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors. View our Video!
Allie Cat was our resident feline innkeeper for 10 years. Unfortunatey, she passed away on July 1, 2012 from a sudden, unexpected heart problem.